JB -- I would suggest that you just concentrate on selective removal of small bass by angling (if you decide that is your best course of action), and keep doing it. I think Kelly was inferring that you might want to consider removing all fish at this time, just to get a more appropriate mix of species in your pond.

When we do an electrofishing survey, we often think that we get roughly 10% of the bass in a pond on the first lap around the pond. Now, this is VERY rough, you can't hold me to it, and it varies depending on a lot of things. Every subsequent lap, you are less effective because you have warned the bass that you are there.

Electrofishing is nonlethal (generally speaking), so you could electrofish and hold fish for restocking.

Your pond is only 1/2 acre, so maybe they could get more than 10% on the first run -- less place for them to hide offshore in deep water where the electrofishing boat is less effective.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.