Originally Posted By: skinnybass
 Originally Posted By: The Pond Frog
Do not mess around if you are allergic. Call in a pro. Multiple stings could be fatal to you. And most of them will swarm on you if you try to spray.

Hence stocking up on epi-pens first. Bonus i live a block from one of those emergency care branches of the local hospital. HAd a pro come out last year, when i bought the house. He quoted me 700 to treat the front yard. Ridiculous, but apparently, he says, the chems to deal with a root ball as big as mine without killing the tree are very pricey. Or the tree could die, and then i have to cut it down.

I originally (and still, kinda) thought i was being scammed. IMO should have been 200 bucks tops. But the guy who came to take out the honey bees (did that for free) also said it would be at least 100 per nest, and I ended up paying 90 for the yellow jackets (I'm most severely allergic to them). So who knows, maybe a full yard treatment at 700 was accurate.

My most moronic moment was when i discovered i was allergic. Just turned 18, working for the boy scouts in philmont, New mexico. Strict rules about garbage there, and a bunch of kids hiking the trails told me they couldn't use the dumpster upstream from my cabin because of a hive dangling from one end. Yeah, tried the smoke method, they did not like it one bit, had to call in a helicopter to air-lift me to a hospital.

The solution was a little more natural. Brown bear lived across the creek a few miles down. Saw her once, trying to get into the dumpster, she must have knocked the hive off (intentionally?), and they were gone in a few days.

oops.

Last edited by skinnybass; 03/04/10 05:12 PM. Reason: and that kids, is what happens when you hit quote instead of edit.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.