Edit to say appreciate Chuck's post and advice. I agree that for general growing of trees for re-sale or establishing a quantity of trees, his is good advice. For growing specific speciman trees; best to give them more TLC. 10 gallons a week is hardly overwatering; especially when not much reaches the intended new root zone. I have planted a lot of trees that made it thru hurricanes and tropical storms with 20+ inches of rain. None have toppled yet. I know for a fact that deep root watering will cause a tree to far outshine a left alone tree.
If you want to enjoy the tree instead of your grandkids, give it deep root watering. I planted some Bradford pears(pretty large) about 15 ft. I did the deep root watering for about 3 yrs. then backed off as they were growing too fast for where they were planted. A friend of mine had planted one and it did nothing for several years. I took over one of those deep root waterers that take the fert. tabs. and in a couple of years it was double size and much better condition.
Most trees that are planted are in not ideal soil for them or else there would be trees there. Yes, if planted in fertile understory of decayed leaves, bark etc. then no need to water or fertilize maybe. Also if you have amended the soil such as for an orchard, maybe not needed.
Generally speaking, dont leave it to nature or you will be disappointed.

Last edited by burgermeister; 03/02/10 12:06 AM.