Regarding HSB-BG with 5-10 CC, it is not something I would do, but I have never experienced a pond like you propose. There could be problems with this combo:
1. Research studies indicate that HSB are not real efficient predators of BG for various reasons. Not saying it can't work, it is just a risky combo.
2. Predators of HSB are not reproducing thus if not careful BG could become overpopulated due to no small yearling to consume high numbers of newly hatched BG. HSB (14"-18") will be usually too busy eating pellets to care about small 1/2"-1.5" BG.
3. In correct situations CC even wiht HSB present, will reproduce and offspring can become overpopulated resulting in lots of small 6"-10" CC. I have that happening in one pond. Do not put places in your pond for CC to spawn, esp good cover and with no LMB present.
4. On feed (pellet feeding) trained HSB and CC, both will eat pellets and will not aggressively prey on forage fish which could easily result in too many BG.
5. If you want panfish maybe a better fish would be HBG. They have very limited reproduction thus needing less predation pressure than BG. HBG will eat pellets and grow big (8"-9") fast. You can restock or not restock them and replace with BG if wanted. RES are an option but they very rarely eat pellets and are sort of hard to catch for youngsers compared to HSB or BG. Thus RES have limited value with your pond fish goals.

If you are sold on BG why not start with pellet trained LMB, a few (4-6) HSB as bonus fish, and forget catfish unless you love eating CC. CC are pellet hogs, will grow big, get very hook shy and IMO each one will take the place of one bass. But You can definately have a couple CC for variety. Every few years remove a few (5-8) LMB, HSB, larger BG (8-16) and restock same number of pellet eating LMB and HSB to maintain numbers of pellet eating predators. BG will repopulate and so will LMB but those young LMB will not eat pellets and should be targeted for harvest. There should be plenty of young LMB around to keep BG numbers in check. If not get the kids fishing with worms & bobber often.

Remember without good aeration you will not raise lots of unlimited fish in this small 0.25 ac pond. For fish stocking, I sugggest you use our stocking rates and not those from the fish hatchery. They LOVE selling fish - we don't sell fish, we just know how to grow them to big sizes.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/14/10 09:39 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management