Hey MWC

Interesting choice of species - I like how you think.

I'm just beginning my projects so I can't speak from a wealth of experience, but based on my preferences I would suggest SMB and YP. I have no experience with WE in ponds - from everything I've read they will most likely not reproduce, so periodic supplemental stockings would be necessary.

The other issue you're facing is establishing a forage base. High fecundity of BG and PS makes them a bad match for SMB, YP and WE - most experts believe predation can't keep up and overpopulation becomes an issue. You are looking at doing some heavy duty culling through angling, trapping or seining at that point.

I love RES and they could be a panfish option for you - but not certain they would survive in your winters - unless you in a temperate rain forest zone? What zone are you in? Bear in mind RES won't provide enough forgage for your predators alone, but would provide an additional species to target.

For my SMB/YP pond I am relying on GSH to serve as my primary forage base. Some experts believe they will remain JUST ahead of predation enough to establish and maintain a permanent presence. I don't know what Shiner species would flourish in your area - but Shiners are a solid choice for SMB and YP forage.

Will you be feeding? This will help take pressure off your forage as well.

Have you ever considered HSB or adding just Male BG to the pond? Just some ideas of species that coexist well together and add another dimension to angling.

Hope this helps - maybe someone who's actually caught a SMB from their ponds might want to weigh in at this point....

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]