Well, I can only tell you some pretty basic what I do things. But better than nothing I suppose. Since my ponds are non moving water most of the season I have a thermocline, or stratified water. I try to take two readings, one at surface, one in the thermocline. I don't go to bottom and I have several depths. If I really was to be a perfectionist, I would do all three. It helps me find fish to some extent, and also when feed is on or off. I have a floater and then attach a weight with a marked rope and float. I do take a couple of reading when inflow is there, but they are fairly consistent throughout the pond, generally.

Next if you were to do it professionally is clarity. Secchi disk is the way to go for clarity, turbidity. I don't go that far, I jot down what I see, murky, crystal clear, plankton bloom, whatever I see. I keep it brief but try to be descriptive. All of this goes in my little black journal book, and I have one for every pond I regularly visit.

At the end I add fish catch totals, average size, species and what caught them. Sometimes temp, but I can look that up and it varies throught the day. Wind and clouds are a bit more important to me.

It is something that really helps long term. I could take it to an extreme, or just say why bother. I try to get a middle ground, keep it concise and brief. Might take 10 minutes of my time if that. It sure does help as far as season to season variances. And I hope I helped you.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 01/29/10 02:47 PM.