Well sounds like skinny bass has a battle plan, now we wait for results. Although I always ask what is your intent, or try to get clearly stated goals, I just assumed what was desired here, fatter bass. Little different throwing around opinions or advice over the internet then standing next to a pond discussing it with it's owner. Made note to self.

Eldorado Jeff. I hate to see you carry the burden of guilt, mass suicide like lemmings jumping off a cliff. There are horse whisperers, dog whisperers, even pizza whisperers. Well I am a fish whisperer. And being I have a couple ponds in that area my fish whispered to me in 2007, we have never seen a drought like this. It's very hot, the water temp is too warm and we can barely breathe. I reassured them in a soft calming whisper everything is going to be ok.

On a slightly more serious note. For fishing and pond management I keep a working journal on ponds. When I visit I record surface water temp, water temp 3 feet under the surface and water level. Other brief observations. 2007 was the first year of a three year drought. I had all time highs in water temps and lowest water level to that date. 2008 was even worse. I've seen worse. 1976-77. Those years were complete die offs, like no fish left. Once that water temp hit a certain point, everything floated up. In one pond I had 30 bass five pounds and larger float up in one day. It's twue it's twue.

Always good to get a reality check and basic principal reminder like Bob gave. There is no silver bullet, no quick fix, and each pond is a ecosystem in itself. What works at one may fail miserably at another. Great learning thread.

Last edited by The Pond Frog; 01/29/10 11:09 AM.