Cecil provided some numbers.
As I recall carrying capacity has been discussd in previous posts several years ago. Eric or someone with search savvy?

I will provide some definitions.
In terms of fish pond populations carrying capacity is usu defined as the maximum weight of a given speices of fish that a pond will support during a time period or interval - often a year. This is different than standing crop which is the actual weight of species or group of species (community) present in a pond at a given moment. Standing crop is always changing due to additions (recruitment stockings) and losses (predation, mortality and harvest). I had to go to the book to verify this info (Bennett 1970 Management of Lakes and Ponds).

There is usually an increase in standing crop with an increase in the number of species present because of a greater use of the available food resources - different species feeding or utilizing different niches. Although simple species combinations are more managable in producing a fishery where all species are thriving i.e. reproducing and growing optimally.

Carrying capacity of a pond can be increased by fertilization, feeding and or stocking different species. Aeration that increases the volume of water available for producing fish food and fish biomass can also increase carrying capacity.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/28/10 10:22 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management