Yeah, i wouldn't be able to identify the BG right off hand. I'll do my best while up there.

I do know the minnow species (as best as i can ID it) is a tiny, swarming minnow, the best ID i have (net caught and observed) is a yellowfin topminnow. I have seen with the fishcam through the ice that there is a larger minnow species, but I've never netted one, it could be the BG or LMB minnows that i am seeing.

Remember there are also rock bass in the lake too.

I've seen redear before, and I can fairly well say that the BG's are not redear. I actually think there are 2 species of BG, one has a bright yellow belly, the other does not. I do know they both have the blue coloration behind the gill plate (characteristic of a BG, not a Green Sunfish).

We're fishing with mainly large bait this weekend (roaches and shiners, as well as pork & jig spoons....we're out chasing Onezey, the mythical lake beast), but i'll throw a waxie in and see what i get.

Bill:
Thanks for the awesome post. Although I have read Walt's documentation and believe what he is saying is sound theory, I think that the HOA is more going to align with PondFrog's approach, mainly because of the caution you warn. To start we are just doing cover, and we'll be frying up any 10-12" we catch (or if there is no meat good enough for the cornmeal, we'll dice it up and chum the lake on friday night for good saturday morning fishing). My dad as well, in his upcoming retirement, has taken it on himself to cull as often as possible.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited by skinnybass; 01/28/10 09:40 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.