Dave:
You're talking about optimal foraging theory, and I completely agree. If all that is left are tiny minnows for the bass to eat, then they have to spend more energy than they make to get a meal, and that meal isn't worth enough. I think Pond Frog's idea of crayfish, gizzard shad and more cover for forage might be a good idea, I'll throw that to the HA just to see what happens. (actually I'll throw all the ideas to the HA and see what happens, one thing i know they will approve of is cover, so i'm starting that, you guys should see this device i made to fit through the ice..pvc pieces strung together, with 3 4" concrete blocks as anchors, it unfolds into a straight, 14' pole to fit through the auger hole, lowers down on a hemp twine, where the anchors naturally fall to the bottom and make it take its desired shape, and there is a "kill switch" line, that if it doesn't unfold correctly i can pull it back out of the ice by straightening one end...if you can't tell i'm proud of this one...).
Will talapia hold up in a lake that freezes to 13" ice every year?

Walt:
the lowering o2 levels is just one of many possible results of drastically reducing all of the predator species of the topminnows. A tiger muskie is not a picky eater, and will prey on the crappie, BG, rock bass, and largemouth all at once (all of the species that prey on the topminnow). Now...the possibility exists (again by optimal foraging) that a sudden bloom of topminnows just means easy pickin's for these species (this is actually the greater possibility), but the possibility also exists that they will grow out of control. from what i understand, species of like size and biology to the topminnow (in case i have the ID wrong) consume buckets of o2 to survive and reproduce. On the other hand...a bloom in topminnows would mean a decrease in the phytoplanton and insect species that control the plant cover, so it might end in more o2 as well. Just the fact is that i'm not a professional, the HOA isn't hiring a professional (i wish they would) and my professor is a mammologist, and i only took 2 classes on hydrology and aquatic ecology (lol). so we have to understand all of the possible ramifications to be prepared with every possible outcome to present to the HOA.

So far from my experience, as soon as things get really complicated, they say no and get scared off. chemistry, i don't think is really something they are going to handle well. When I present the idea, what do you think i should tell them to keep them from being scared off of this route? do you think the tiger Muskie is the best method?

Last edited by skinnybass; 01/27/10 10:17 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.