"In Mexico, that isn't the case and there is some interesting research performed several years ago that suggested the presence of large overwintering Tilapia adversely effected the LMB fishing. The research compared LMB fishing in Tilapia stocked lakes with and without netting of Tilapia. The findings clearly indicated that lakes with heavy netting of the larger Tilapia had superior LMB fishing. The scientists conducting the research suggested, based on these results, that larger Tilapia probably prey on the LMB fry."

I have fished most of these Mexico lakes and the lakes had a mix of both tilapia and threadfin shad and lots of bass over 10 lbs. with exceptional RW. What the scientist may have missed is that in the fisheries where the tilapia are netted there are also largemouth removed by nets. Lakes where there was no netting tend to actually have more bass per acre however the sizes of the bass per catch are smaller (100 fish days per person on 12" dinks is common) - too many bass. I have never heard of tilapia consuming bass fry from all the fishery studies I have read that examined stomach contents of tilapia in a bass / bluegill fishery. I have also not observed tilapia feeding on shad fry or bass fry even though a cloud of fry move past them while they are feeding, filtering mud or picking at filament algae on the bottom. I think the issue , if there is one, would be in tilapia using and or competing for nesting areas with largemouth.

Most of you guys here are from Texas. What do you all think about your famous Lake Amistad? It is a tilpia / bass lake right? It also seems to be kicking out one hell of a bass fishery? From the guys I know that have fished it last year they said in their minds it's the tilapia that make the fishery what it is there. Kind of like tilapia are the South's rainbow trout for putting lbs. on largemouth. All the pro's have been throwing tilapia / large swimbaits and venen Kevin V's been using tilapia skirted blades.