Just a little update.

I've been fishing twice since I last posted. It seems like fishing is pretty tough once winter starts rolling around. I did manage a small 11 inch rainbow on powerbait at Hart Park near bakersfield, but I would much rather be fishing a lure.

Fishing with bait kind of bores me a little bit. I mean, I wouldn't mind getting a 2-pole license and baiting up for catfish / trout while I fish with a lure on another line. That seems like it would be a good approach.

Yesterday, I decided to try laguna lake in san luis obispo. It is extremely muddy water. I know there are some big catfish in there, as well as large carp, and a few bass. Supposedly there are some small bluegill as well.

The water is VERY muddy. Visibility is like 2 1/2 inches, no joke.

I tried my luck with a tiny 1/8th ounce rattle trap, a 1/8th ounce blue fox vibrax spinner, and a 1/32 ounce roadrunner. I ended up losing my tiny-rat-l trap and roadrunner to weeds and muck. Oops!

Fished from 6:00am to 6:00pm. No luck. Bummer!

Also, I'm trying to put together a list of lures that are absolute must haves. I'm trying to see if I can keep it down to like 5 lures (Will probably have a few variations of the same bait / lure)... Will be trying to get the most versatile ones I can.

I can't afford much right now, and the wife probably wouldn't appreciate me filling my tacklebox. Something about how she could use that money on baking stones or cookware. Sounds boring, but she is the boss.

Here is my list so far... Remember I am using an Ultralight setup 4lb test.

1) Blue Fox Spinner with Foxtail

I do not know what size to use. Would like to be able to catch medium sized trout, crappie, and 1-2 pound bass, maybe even a monster bluegill every once in awhile... I can't decide between size #2 (3/16th ounce) or size #3 1/4th ounce. I'm not sure what size is appropriate for what type or size fish. No knowing what size baits / lures to use is a big problem for me. I'll probably order a few in different colors.

2) Blakemore Road Runners

I figure I will have a few 1/32 and 1/16th ounce roadrunners for small panfish and one or two 1/8th ounce crappy thunder version road runners for crappie and the occasional bass.

3) Senko + maybe size 4 octopus hook?

I am not sure which size senko to use with my ultralight setup, or what type / size hook to use with it for that matter. I just know that I want to fish wacky with an O-Ring so that I am not destroying the bait every other cast. I was thinking about maybe a 3 inch senko. I have no idea. I've just heard good things about them, and for some reason wacky rigging appeals to me.

4)[Have no idea give pretty please give me some suggestions]

I have a few hand-me down 1/4th ounce rattle traps that I could probably throw with my ultralight gear, but isn't the point of a rattle trap to attract their attention with the "rattling" vibrations. Wouldn't the blue fox vibrax spinner do the same thing, but with extra flash? I wouldn't know what size rattle trap to use, and all the different color selections kind of overwhelm me.

I just fished a 1/8th ounce tiny trap the other day because my wife bought it for me. She said it was small and "cute". I agree with her, but have no idea how to fish it.

5) [Have no idea again, could use some suggestions!]

Any and all replies / suggestions are greatly appreciated! I am feeling a little lost, and still suck very badly at fishing!

Dr. Flores D.V.M.