Originally Posted By: burgermeister
I was always told that heartworm treatment was very expensive. We had a dog long ago that went thru it. We rescued our old cocker, Toby, from my son and his, at the time growing family. They didnt treat him as they should have. He had heartworms for a long time.
We were told by a nice vet just to keep him on a little stronger dose of meds and he would be OK. That was about 7 yrs. ago. He is now nearing 13. Dont let the heartworm be an issue.

Burger your vet was right. There is a slow kill method that simply uses regular old heartguard and some inexpensive antibiotics. You can also use the liquid 1% ivermectin for livestock from the feed store for the treatment and as a monthly preventative. It's what I use monthly since I have a herd of dogs and the cost is around 30 cents a month per dog!

I think the slow kill method would probably be best if we are going to transport Mason. If they have the conventional treatment at the vet, they must be kept confined for 6 weeks. The slow kill method does not require it and is also much gentler on the dog. I'll provide all the meds with complete instructions. It takes approximately 1 year to complete the treatment but that is just giving weekly doses mixed with food. Not a hard program to follow.

http://www.dogaware.com/heartworm.html

If it's not fit for you to eat, what makes you think it's good for your dog?

AHAHM