Originally Posted By: eddie_walker
Here, Hardi and Certanteed sided homes will appraise just below brick. Smartside will appraise the same as T1-11, and other wood siding type products.

You are correct about it being lighter and that you can work it with regular wood tools. It's OSB, so it cuts and works exactly like OSB. The finish looks nice at first. Might even say that it's very hard to tell from Hardi or Certanteed. The problems are in wear. Being OSB, it is susuptable to the same issues that happen to OSB. The edges expand and come apart.

I've only seen it used a few times and thought it looked nice. The guys who installed it, liked how easy it was, but joked about how they would never use it in their homes. One guy told me that he used it because Hardi causes cancer. He's a nut, and while he can frame a house, he's smoked too much ganja in his life and I tend to nod my head when I talk to him and ignore what he has to say.

Hardi cuts real easy with a proper blade. It nails on real easy with a coil nail gun, and it paint real good. I've done a 2,2000 sq ft homes by myself, so it's easy to install.

Before buying it, I'd go talk to some builders in your area and see who has used both. Get some first hand opinions and then decide if you want to stick with Smartsiding.

Eddie

Interesting post, Eddie. Thanks.
 Quote:
Being OSB, it is susuptable to the same issues that happen to OSB. The edges expand and come apart.

This would be a main concern...for obvious reasons. I was under the impression that it was manufactured with the same impervious glues that Advantech uses. No?