Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
As most of you know I have a 125 gallon aquarium I have been keeping native fish in. Much to my surprise, I noticed 1 of 2 male GSF I have in there cleaning out a nest in the bottom gravel starting about a week ago. Why this time of year, I have no clue?

Anyways, I don't have any female GSF in the tank, both are males. I do have a female RBS in the tank though. Well, today I watched the male GSF and the female RBS spawning into the next and now there is quite a large number of eggs in the nest... The male GSF is actively guarding it. I am sure if they do hatch, the fry will be gobbled up in short order, but I am gonna try to salvage a few if I can.

I have successfully spawned sunfish on purpose, but never had them spawn in a community tank and never spawned this hybrid. I am estimated at least 200-300 eggs. So we'll see what comes of it. Here I was getting ready to release these buggers for the winter and they go and make babies on me!

CJ.

Is it possible you have their photoperiod skewed by artificial lighting? Maybe started burning the midnight oil more or you work a shift that keeps lights on at night?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.