Originally Posted By: ewest
CJ thanks for the info. I have read part and will reply when I get a second.

I am looking forward to hearing what your impression of the study is. I have fished both Claytor and Smith Mountain, the reservoirs mentioned in the study. They are great fisheries, especially Smith Mountain.

George has been through this exercise and knows he can grow them well in his very hot water. The Symp. he cites has a ton of good info. However there is always new info to find and that was what I ask for and you provided. Thanks and the study has lots of info on first glance.

I have never doubted the fact that one can grow HSB under 8 pounds quite well in a small southern pond. What I am curious about is, at want size do HSB hit that wall where they have to have the cooler higher DO waters to do well? I believe there is a distinct different in the requirements of a 5 pound HSB and a 15 pound HSB.

I have more info and from ponds to add. I need to look more closely but on first glance it does not support (in fact contradicts) the notion that HSB need cooler water and more DO than ponds provide. More later.

This is why this forum is so great, people openly sharing their thoughts and opinions. We will never learn everything there is to know about HSB or pond management. The open sharing of ideas among many pondmeisters with years of first hand experience and/or education make this one special place. As Bill Cody says, Pond Boss IS America's Journal on Pond Management...