Firstly, IMO the adult smalies in the repro pond with presence of ample minnow/shiner forage will not eat a significant or large percentage of the YOY bass - see my Nov-Dec 09 PBoss article "Growing Smallies Into Trophies" for more details about this topic.
I agree with TJ since he has basically a "full" crop of YOY BG, he needs them "hammered" or else he is going to have problems in 2010 and 2011 with way too many BG. Supposedly adult YP will effectively prey on BG especialy during winter. For several reasons, I think that research was biased and good predation of his 2009 YOY BG by the YP will not happen this winter. Thus the more larger smallies he can add, the better the predation of the 2009 BG crop will be. I even question the ability of the newly stocked immature smallies (4"-9") to control YOY BG when other soft rayed forage are available and common(again for details of this see my Nov-Dec. Smallie article).

I predict, that without LMB, this pond will need supplimental removal of 2009 BG crop to achieve a balance. I hope I am wrong about this. Time will tell.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/08/09 09:05 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management