The replies vary from time to time. In this case, I gave them the data set from a pond in which we had a four-year removal of smaller bass by electrofishing, which restructured the LMB size structure to bigger fish due to faster growth. Then, we asked what happened after that (no more removals)? Did the size structure remain good (large LMB eat the small ones and keep them thinned and growing fast) or does size structure revert back to high density, slow growing, small fish? I would say that a slight majority of student groups over the years have chosen revert to original problem. However, it is not too different from 50-50. By the way, for inquiring minds, in this sample size of one SD pond, the population did revert back to high density, small fish. If anyone wants to see the student and instructor versions of this case, just send me an email and I can send the PDF files. It's a fun exercise.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.