Gflo, I'm sorry I missed this thread, I was temporarily out of my mind. First off welcome to Pond Boss and thanks for posting. It's great to have another Californian aboard!

I didn't see this recommended (but then again I have a short attention span) but if you can, fish with a good fisherman. If you don't know one then ask the local tackle shop if there are any fishing clubs (Rod & Gun Clubs or something similar). If you can fish with a patient teacher you will learn plenty! DIED, Bruce Condello and Natester have all taught me quite a bit about fishing by spending just a few minutes with them.

Watch some fishing shows, it sounds corny but tape Bill Dance's show and watch it, you'll learn plenty. In-Fisherman magazine is a good source for information. Perhaps join and post on the Fish Sniffer Forums. I'll bet if you asked there someone in your area would be more than willing to take you out and give you some lessons.

Oh and keep the gear simple at first. Don't spend a ton on expensive gear. When we first started freshwater fishing (in 2006 by the way) my wife and I purchased the Zebco Omega Reel and Rod combo from Bass Pro Shops (a Pond Boss supporter by the way) and we really like it, it is very easy to use, I belive it's the very reel you have bookmarked. I prefer an ultralight pole - they'll handle a good sized fish (I caught a 6.25 pound channel cat on one, thank's to Bruce and Nate, and had no problem with the pole, I don't know what the upper fish weight limit is, anyone?). I like the ultralight poles because you can cast a small lure a very long distance and it has an incredible amount of "feel" to it.

Oh and learn to tie a good knot, practice knots, practice, practice.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)