Originally Posted By: n8ly
Lets come up with a fish PLAN! IF you dont want to feed much, than you might want to consider a HSB and Black Crappie plan! Jeff Slipke had some awesome case studies today at the conference using those two species and various other forage minnows.

If you stocked your fatheads and shiners and black crappie this spring, and added a handful of hybrid bluegills to the mix, you could then add your HSB later in the year and possibly stock them a bit heavy to keep reproduction down to a minimum with the BC and HBG. You then would not be dependant upon pellets nearly as much as just a HBG/HSB pond would be.

10 lbs fatheads
10 lbs shiners
50 lake chubsuckers airmailed in from overtons
100 BC
100 HBG

Then plopped in 75 HSB a few months later or even next spring and you should be good to go with just a bit of supplemental feeding for fun! You would then want to replace annually or biannually the fish that you harvest from the system.

That was a great segment - I hope someone experiments with this stocking plan RE Nate. I also encourage folks to contact Jeff Slipke and request his presentation via email - I would hope he would make it available. The data doesn't lie - this plan works - huge HSB and very limited BC recruitment. Fascinating stuff IMO!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]