Hey kloot, thanks for serving the country!

I was just in the Ashville, NC area last month... What a pretty area and some great fishing!

There are a couple members on here who have ponds built on or near trout streams. Adirondack Pond is one of them. As others have already said, trout need temps below 70-74 degrees and near saturation levels of DO to survive. If you can keep your pond on the smaller size, fairly shaded you should be OK. It will depend greatly on the water volume from the stream... Do you have any idea how many GPM the stream flow is during the warm months of the year? When I was in western NC last month, there really is a huge difference between the temps in the valley and the temps at 3,000 plus feet. I really noticed temps dropping above 4,000 feet.

My dad has a friend who has a couple trout ponds in VA at about 2,800 feet. They are fed by small spring fed streams. The spring fed streams have a very steady flow year round and the water is in the 55 degree range. That is the key, cold and high volume water flows. That helps balance out the lack of shade the pond causes and all the warm sun beating down on the non flowing water and heating it up. Add in the cooler temps and higher elevations and you're in business.