Hello, Gflo.

There are many, many kinds of fishing and many, many different answers to your questions. Many of the approaches and answers are valid, obviously for different circumstances but also even for the same situations.

The best fisherman many of us (certainly I) have ever seen is Bruce Condello. I have seen Bruce outfish 5 other Moderators put together. It is more fun for me to watch Bruce fish than to fish myself. I will pass on to you one fishing technique which Bruce turned me onto, which I have found to work almost as well for lousy old me as it did for Bruce, which should work well with your ultralight rigs.

Tie a 1/16 or 1/32 ounce jighead directly onto the 4 lbs test line. Chartreuse is a good color, although others should work well too. Put a piece of nightcrawler about 1" long on the jighead. Cast out, and retrieve slowly, moving the rod tip back and forth so that the jighead & nightcrawler move toward shore in slight jerks, just off of the bottom.

You can catch just about any kind of fish this way.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]