I started with 6 traps in the main pond and put AM 500 in a piece of tied off nylon stocking [Condello had a bunch of these in his glovebox...I didn't ask any questions] and suspended it from the top of the cage. I baited three traps with AM 500, two traps with old bread, and one with nothing so I could test the results.

I noticed no difference in the qty of forage captured regardless of what I used as bait. When I noticed that 80% of my minnows were GSH [I didn't want them in the top hatchery ponds] I dumped them I placed traps to the crappie pond in which FHM are the dominant forage.

I was running short on time so I just tossed them in unbaited and returned the next day to bait them. I still had plenty of FHM and tadpoles and the four PK shrimp so now I don't bait with anything and still doing OK.

I would suggest trying a test yourself and see which performs better - AM, bread, and nothing at all has worked for me without discernable difference in the results. However, my ponds are loaded with forage and few predators, yet, so that might be the primary reason for my success.

Let me know how you guys do please - I'll let you know how the main pond goes up in the weedy creek arms.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]