I found out 2 weeks ago how to drown them. Now I know how hot is too hot! I dug out all of the material and grubs that were in the rubbermaid tote and split it into two buckets and the heat problem was still there.

The shredded paper to absorb moisture, too many coffee grounds, what moisture is left, the larvae's activity, and the sun on the south side of the porch hitting the side of the tote all together reached to almost 130 F. The smart ones stayed on the edges and bottom and top and lived. Smell is almost completely gone.

If you want to learn how to hot compost, I definitely know how now.

I went ahead and split the two 5 gallon buckets into 5 buckets and some left in the tote and added some water to all of them. That put the temps down to 95 F for now.

I am going to make a box that is about 10 foot long, 16 inches deep, and about a foot across and divide it into 3 even sections using wire that a large larvae can get through and a red wriggler will obviously be able to get through it also.

The section on the left and the middle section will each have a 6" id tower. The section on the right will have no tower.

The left 3rd will get all the various house food scraps that will go into the tower and be kept sealed off with light film or saran wrap and a big rubber band so house flies can't get in. I will drill small holes around the top of the tower for the BSF's to smell and lay eggs. This section will have the exit ramp.

The center part will have the same tower idea without the holes in the top and I will put pure rabbit/hog/chicken manure into it.
This section may also end up getting a ramp.

The section on the right will get only items that BSFL don't eat that worms do eat eventually.

I am hoping that this will allow both of them to have plenty of space so they can go where they want to according to food, heat, and moisture.

I will also build a top for it so I can control the moisture since it is so big and will be out off the porch.

The two screens that separate the 3 sections will be very sturdy. Either they will slide up and down channels or they will be screwed in tight. I want to use these so when I clean out a section, the other section or two don't cause me more work by falling into the section to be turned or cleaned or whatever.

I will have to mount this big box up on saw horses or some kind of legs and treat or vasoline or ? for ants.

Don't know how it is going to work, but it sounds like a challenge.

I am hoping too with the size of this box, everyone (critters) will have enough room to escape freezing soil come winter. Luckily it only dips down into the 20's at the most around here.

All what abouts, what ifs, do it like this, etc. are welcome as I know I am not a professional