Originally Posted By: 2catmom
OK:
Sat. S. Disk, 6'8" today 7'. Way too good to be true with water at 80 degrees, and 5 hot, sunny, still days with no water movement to speak of. Big retirement party next door last night: lots of positive feedback, everyone saying this is what the lake was like 15 years ago. Of course we aren't out of the woods yet, but this sort of means to me that we can restore the lake.
Carp are in here, and a few large fish jumping (must be LMB), but no sign of anything small or a g.shad. We will have fish kill 2 in September probably. Usually when we get treated 2-5 g. shad, small ones wash up dead a day later, no sign of that, wit 2 treatment since. I concluded maybe these fish are on top of the water when they treat, and get hit, they are fragile.
I am spending every moment I can out there, this is the summer of fun, and its winding down soon, so sad.

Good for you Lynda! What a difference a 7 foot clarity must be to the naked eye! Don't be surprised if it doubles that if you have the depth especially later this fall when temps drop. I believe you said the lake is former gravel pit?

I would not doubt if all the gizzard shad have been eliminated as they are very sensitive to rotenone. However the few carp that escaped the treatment or have come in since then are troubling. If you don't figure out how to stop immigration of fish you may be right back in the same boat in a few years. Best case scenario is a good predator fish population will keep the carp at bay somewhat, but not completely. The common carp really like to stir up the bottom in search of invertebrates. One of my probable ancestors S.F. Baird of the U.S. Fish Commission that introduced them, should have been fired and summarily shot at dawn.

Keep us posted!

BTW if you can email any pictures to me I would be glad to post them for you.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/17/09 02:53 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.