Hi Bill, I'm glad you've been enjoying your black soldier fly grubs.

Quote:
I noticed that the eyeball wasn't gotten into. I wonder why?

You must be referring to a photo of BSF consuming a fish. Rest assured that by the next day there won't be anything left but scales and bones. From what I understand fish bones will also be eaten in time, but not mammal bones. BSF have difficulty getting through even very thin membranes which is why they can't really target fresh food. A tomato with unbroken skin probably won't get eaten by BSF grubs, but put one tiny hole in it and that tomato will be gone in an hour. The only thing left uneaten would be the paper-thin skin and any woody stuff like the stem.

Quote:
All the internals were 95%? gone, but I had alot of premature crawloff and lots of larvae drowned due to high temps. and too much moisture content.

Draining off the liquids is one of the biggest challenges in setting up a BSF unit. Accumulated liquids can lead to problems because the grubs can't effectively aerate waste that's flooded and this can result in anaerobic (no oxygen) conditions. This in turn causes bad odors and invites risky strains of bacteria. The relatively small drain on a BioPod tends to get clogged so now the manufacturer is recommending a layer of coir (fiber from coconut husks used in wire hanging baskets). The coir works like a pre filter it's biodegradable.

Keeping the colony cool is important. Keeping it in full shade is a good start, but on very hot days it's a good idea to go "topless" if the unit is protected from rain (and dogs). In general, the more ventilation, the better.

Quote:
Yesterday morning early, I put in a quart bag of catfish fillets that were freezer burnt, 10 rabbit livers and hearts. Today I put a half cup of Lousiana Fish Fry on top of that. Some used coffee grounds and two tomatoes also.

Sounds like one of my girlfriend's recipes! \:D

Thanks Bill, please keep us updated on your progress.

(I was only kidding sweetheart, your cooking is the best. )