I've got a college buddy with a Lake issue. Clear Water and Skinny Bass!! I told him about this site but I think I will ask the question.

First the Background:
· This lake was built just north of Birmingham AL in the mid-40s.
· It is 90 acres and was formed by damming a not so small mountain brook.
· It is also fed by springs. Enough flow for a picturesque waterfall behind dam.
· Depths reach 80ft.
· Water clear to 6-7ft.
· Since this is a narrow mountain valley it is generally windy.
· The shape is like a carrot with slight bend.

Family Issues:
· The lake belongs to my buddy's wife's family. They actually have shares. No one under the age 60 has an ownership share.
· He is pessimistic about personal future ownership. And gets to fish as a guest because his in-laws currently like him.
· The lake was originally built as a ski lake. Little or no interest in Fishing by the shareowners.
· The place is a zoo on weekends with family & guests on Jet Ski's, ski boats, etc.
· My buddy primarily fishes on weekdays in the afternoon.

Fish Issues:
· According to my buddy, the lake has the following fish:
1. Kentucky Bass – very aggressive, lots of black mottling on lateral line, head, and shoulders. Also, vibrant blue flakes on shoulders. Generally, healthy in appearance but usually less that 2-3lbs. Is there a Kentucky bass?
2. Native Bass - very aggressive, skinny as a rule across all lengths.
3. Crappie – very large and aggressive. He trolls in middle of lake and the fish favorite lure is a bass colored plug. Never caught any small crappie, although I think this is related to his fishing technique. The large crappies are very healthy and it is easy to catch 40-50 trolling.
4. Catfish – large and aggressive. No spots and many at 10+ lbs, so probably Blues. Generally healthy.
5. Bream – all stunted.
· His catch and release strategy is:
1. Keep all crappie
2. Keep all bass less than 14 inches unless stocky in appearance.
3. Keep some skinny bass between 14 to 18 inches. Release all bass over 18 inches.
4. Keep all stunted bream.
5. Keep all catfish.

His ability to manage this lake is limited. The family will probably not support spending money on the fishery. He would like to explore low cost options to help the bream population. He knows this where he needs to concentrate. All comments appreciated!!!!