Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
chin_monster, Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan
18,589 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,111
Posts559,638
Members18,589
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,727
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
4 members (Willy Wonka, RAH, DeerTexas, Dave Davidson1), 781 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#176628 07/31/09 09:00 AM
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Good morning.

I going to purchase a galvanized windmill aeration system for my new pond. I'm looking at this as an "investment" in keeping the pond healthy long term. Having said that, I do have a couple of questions out there that I am hoping some of you windmill aeration owners can help me with.

1. I see that outdoor water solutions and Jones Fish Hatcheries offer galvanized systems and I was wondering if anyone has pros cons on the quality of one companies versus the others? Or, are they all constructed pretty much the same?

2. I am debating between a 12 and 16 foot model... I've got 5 acres and the difference is not going to affect any asethics of the house, and their will be no zoning issues either.

I appreciate the comments and help!

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
rcooked #176646 07/31/09 10:49 AM
Lunker
Lunker
I was sure Jones' still carries Koenders' windmills, until I checked the current catalog. It doesn't specify a manufacturer, although the windmill depicted looks like a Koenders.

If anyone knows what brands Outdoor Water Solutions (and Jones, for that matter) is carrying, pipe up to assist in comparison efforts.

WRT 12' vs 16', a lot depends on how close trees which would block the (prevailing) winds are to where you will put the windmill, and how tall they are compared to ground level at the windmill site. I have a 12' windmill that's about 100 yards from near climax growth to the West (prevailing winds) and about 75 yards from similar trees to the North. These trees are on the order of 60' or so tall. This combination leaves the windmill fairly effective at turning.

Another item to consider about the tower height is access for construction and maintenance. For maintenance, you will need at least one ladder about the same height as the tower (ladders are pretty cheap compared to windmills), leaning against it works fine. If you put the windmill up the bullheaded way I did, it will take 2 such ladders that are free standing. But one or more windmill owners here have worked out what are IMO better installation methods.

Have you definitely determined that you will have to go with a windmill rather than electric aeration? The limitations to windmills are notable. OTOH air can be piped to a pond from a electric-available compressor locations at least as far as a half mile away

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
R
rcooked Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Theo,

Thanks for the reply. I guess at this point I am not planning on running electric out to the pond - I'm really trying to get away from using more power. Not necessarily to be "green", but rather the costs just continue to jump and I want to avoid more and more usage.

I'd say I am about 3 miles from the nearest trees to the west, and a mile from the nearest to the east. North, the neighbors have some trees, but the winds here blow (two roofs in 3 months last fall) hard out of the west.

I appreciate your help! I'm just wanting to maximize my bang for buck - without skimping if I have to and knowing about the brands will help a lot.

Also - do you think it is ok to install and use an aerator in a new pond which is in the process of filling? I've got about 4 feet of water in the deep end (11 feet deep).

Thanks,

I subscribe!

1/3 Acre pond - Central, OH
Deepest point 11 ft.
Stocked with:
Hybrid Bluegill, Bluegill, Yellow Perch, Largemouth Bass, White Amur.
rcooked #176735 07/31/09 09:15 PM
Lunker
Lunker
If you have a high ground spot near the pond fr the windmill, I think I'd go with the 12'.

I can see no reason not to aerate while still filling. If you don't have fish in yet, no reason to rush either.

FWIW, assembling and erecting my Koender's took about 4 days. Be prepared to by longer bolts for some of the assembly points, as it is easier than trying to force some pieces close enough together for shorter bolts to reach.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
J
Fingerling
Fingerling
J
If you get a Koender's windmill, get the tilt up kit. Two of us easily tilted the completed 20ft windmill up. I don't anticipate any problems when it comes to tilting it down for maintenance.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
Faux trees & plants
by Willy Wonka - 06/26/24 05:07 AM
New 1/4 acre pond
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/26/24 04:38 AM
Strange 'phenomenon' in aquatic vegetation
by Dave Davidson1 - 06/26/24 04:18 AM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by esshup - 06/26/24 12:45 AM