lbianc1,

Your new pond is going to be about 3/4 acre. Pond depths in our area are primarly chosen for drought protection. We don't have to worry about freezing.

If you could describe the watershed for the pond, i.e. the numbers of acres that drain into the pond, it might help on depth selection. In general, you would want a good bit of at least 8 foot water for that drought protection....myself, seeing the results of the last couple of years in Texas, I tend toward more depth now than I used to...droughts will do that to you.

Do you plan this as a DIY project or are you hiring a contractor? Lots of info on here on both approaches. Whatever the approach, you first need a well thought out plan...one that will meet your specific objectives for the pond.

The key to any good pond, one that does not leak, is the quality of the soil and the quality of the construction. You need both to be successful. Clay is the gold standard for ponds. Since it sounds like you have lots of it, you are off to a good start.

Do your homework....read as much as you can get your hands on. Pub 590 from USDA is a great place to start. It will also show you the recommended depth for your area.

There are several folks on this forum who have either built ponds themselves or contracted out. Lots of good lessons learned.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, but always be a smart buyer...what works in one area of the country isn't always the best for your area. Good luck!