Thanks ewest. It will helpful to use your post to fine tune this idea.

"If you want a balanced LMB/lepomis pond GSF are not the best choice."

I don't care about LMB for this pond. In fact I don't like the idea of relying on stunted LMB to manage for large Lepomis, though I understand the reasoning. The question of using HSB as a predator has come up. What do you think of that?

"Generally speaking because this scenario has gone on for millennia GSF have survived and adapted and genetic selection has selected for small size and quick reproduction in most populations. DIED may have a GSF population which has not been subject to the normal genetic selection process or they may have some other genes mixed in. One other point - some Fisheries Scientists who do research on lepomis believe it is getting harder to find pure GSF and thus they see wider variation in test results on growth and fecundity. The point being you may not be able to find a hatchery with them or they may not be quality GSF. Most hatcheries don't carry GSF."

What about collecting from other ponds and wild populations?

What if I applied all of the techniques that Bruce has used to raise his trophy BG?

What are options for having the GSF be the apex predator?

I'm probably showing my ignorance, but what would a GSF/Talapia pond be like? I'm only a few miles from the Florida/Georgia line.