Originally Posted By: TennJeff
With all my supplies sitting in the garage waiting to be applied, I'm also very interested.
I do agree with Rainman, it seems to defy logic. How it could dissapate effectively/evenly accross that much surface area. Doesn't exactly work on the same principals of pouring in a gallon of pond dye.

Jeff-

Actually, it does.

Works the same way as dissolving salt, sugar, or alum. The particles are much larger in dye, but they are held in suspension by their molecular charge.

You can put a spoon of salt in 1 end of a long, skinny pan of water, and it soon dissolves. The entire pan of water will very soon be equally salty. You couldn't stop the process if you tried. In all fairness, stirring the pan of water will cause the salt to thoroughly dissolve in a minute instead of an hour if you're in a hurry.

Getting a little technical, molecular diffusion and Fick's law are the reason salt, sugar, and alum dissolve so readily.

Soluble substances quickly diffuse from highest level of concentration to the lowest. Substances with a positive charge quickly diffuse, and balance the charge equally. Nature abhors an ionic imbalance. That's why a pond is either 100% muddy or 100% clear.

I think some of the confusion started because of ag lime, which dissolves so slowly it needs to be spread. Gypsum also dissolves slowly, and can benefit from spreading. Alum, like salt and sugar, is hygroscopic, meaning that it readily dissolves.