Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
chin_monster, Km17, Jhust, Cionweest, Kansan
18,589 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,111
Posts559,642
Members18,589
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,727
ewest 21,550
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,198
Who's Online Now
8 members (Shorthose, Jason D, catscratch, Drago, Theo Gallus, Boondoggle, Sunil, FishinRod), 1,194 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
We lease land from a relative and I have a few cows on it. It is adjacent to a small airport in East Texas. As luck would have it...a plane crashed into the pond and killed one of our cows! Luckily the pilot survived. We are a bit concerned about contamination of the water. It is a small pond and now has gas and oil in it.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10581694&nav=menu117_2

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I thought you were joking at first...

Wow! Glad nobody was hurt more seriously.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Captain1
We lease land from a relative and I have a few cows on it. It is adjacent to a small airport in East Texas. As luck would have it...a plane crashed into the pond and killed one of our cows! Luckily the pilot survived. We are a bit concerned about contamination of the water. It is a small pond and now has gas and oil in it.

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10581694&nav=menu117_2

Sounds like someone's insurance company should get a bill to have your pond cleaned.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Although I've only been here just shy of three years I feel fairly comfortable with saying that this is the first ever plane crash/dead cow post on Pond Boss.

I would like to publicly state that the GSA had nothing to do with this as far as you know.

Originally Posted By: from link
"Witnesses say the pilot, Johnny Ray Hearon, was inexperienced and was unfamiliar with the aircraft."

Ya think!?!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Yikes! My pond is very near our small airport where there are 2 flight schools!

I don't have cows but I don't want my pond full of airplane effluent!

Good luck with all of that and definitely file a claim to have your pond cleaned, tested, decontaminated, and restocked with 10-pound bass! ;\)

Edited to add: I watched the film clip on that web link just now. You have a beautiful pond! I was only looking at the pond during the whole film clip. Let's hope your pond remains healthy or gets restored to health.

Last edited by Al Davison; 06/23/09 09:17 PM. Reason: added

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Better buy some cows Al, it'll give the pilots something to aim for.

Just don't buy any sneaky cows like Theo has.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Hehehe...first, I want to see if the Captain gets those 10-lb. bass stocked. I just know that pond was slap-full of 10-pounders before that plane hit. It scared 8 pounds right off most of 'em!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

If you're too scared to throw that bait where the fish are, why did you tie it on?
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That's absolutely awful! I wonder what the cow thought?

A few years ago we had a guy "land" his new experimental plane (first flight) in the slurry pond at the brick factory. He was able to slog his way out, but they had a lot of difficulty getting the plane out of the liquid mud.

I guess I'm at least kind of protected. They'd have to crash through the 500,000 volt power lines that cross over right over the center of my pond.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: catmandoo
That's absolutely awful! I wonder what the cow thought?

Jeez this grass tastes good. I haven't had grass this good since last Thursday. And what a beautiful day, the sky looks so clear and a it's such a beautiful shade of blue and.....

......OH SNAP!

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Hey, what's a cow doing way up here?!

Working hard so others don't have to.

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
Seriously laughing right out loud!

JHAP - you're as crazy as I am and we must watch the same movies. ;\)

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Whoaa! You guys are brutal! It's been an interesting day. I was sitting in my office in Dallas and getting a call that a plane crashed into your pasture, killed your cow and the plane and cow are now in the pond! The guy that crashed the plane had only 22 hours flight time from way back in the 80's before buying this plane and immediately crashed it. (I think his first flight in it!)

The pond is (was?)a pretty good bass and bluegill fishery until they added a few crappie. It really did negatively affect the bass population. I like the angle on getting it restocked! The real bummer in this story is that the cow that was killed left a 3 week old orphan calf. Now you guys feel bad don't you? ;\)

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Capt, sorry about the calf being left alone.. maybe it will join up with one of the other nursing cows. But, seriously, I don't think I could ever fish that pond without looking up in the sky every once in a while - \:\) \:\)

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Whoaa! You guys are brutal! It's been an interesting day. I was sitting in my office in Dallas and getting a call that a plane crashed into your pasture, killed your cow and the plane and cow are now in the pond! The guy that crashed the plane had only 22 hours flight time from way back in the 80's before buying this plane and immediately crashed it. (I think his first flight in it!)

The pond is (was?)a pretty good bass and bluegill fishery until they added a few crappie. It really did negatively affect the bass population. I like the angle on getting it restocked! The real bummer in this story is that the cow that was killed left a 3 week old orphan calf. Now you guys feel bad don't you? ;\)

Well I did until I remembered how good veal taste.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J

Wow, way to apply the guilt. Now I feel horrible. Sorry Captain just having some fun. I realize this situation probably isn't very funny to you. I'd be completely peeved at the pilot, it's quite fortunate that the pilot didn't kill himself and other people. Hopefully you'll get compensated for the cow and the pond restoration. Probably time to talk to an attorney.

Now I gonna go slam my hand in the closet door for penance.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Things to ponder.....
1)JHAP instantly denied having anything to do with it..he's involved.
2)Orphaned calf...doesnt this sound like lunch to anyone else but me?
3)Crashed airplane,couldnt this be new structure for the pond?
4)Landed right next to the skif...maybe he was going fishing and blew the landing.Did he have bait on board?
5)JHAP slamming hand in door...sounds like he's in denial to me.

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
JHAP - The guilt trip was low hanging fruit! Fact is - we are trying to match the calf to another cow - but if it fails...to TOM G's point...veal cutlets. Since this is a pond forum - and I realize I sidetracked it a bit, I will say that the cows death was not in vain. It ended up under the plane and in the pond. As a result of fairly severe injuries, this cow provided a fairly large quantity of forage for the catfish.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Do we have an emoticon to express righteous indignation? I think I need one in order to properly respond to Tom G.

I love the idea of the plane as pond structure. I wonder if you could keep a wing or the tail of the plane? That would be a great conversation peace. The tail of the plane sticking up out of the water.

Circle of life I guess Captain. We found a dead deer in the pond last year. I had no idea what to do so of course I called DIED. He said leave it, it'll get eaten. Man was he right. A month later is was completely gone bones and all.

Last edited by jeffhasapond; 06/24/09 11:09 AM. Reason: wow, 3 spelling errors in one post.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I think we are all overlooking something here. How do we know the plane killed the cow?

It is possible a green sunfish killed the cow and the plane just happened to crash on top. Of course it is doubtful that the plane crash could have killed the green sunfish.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I think a GSF most definitely killed the cow and the whole plane thing is just an elaborate cover-up that probably goes all the way to the heads of the CIA, FBI, DEA, FDA, FFA, MTA, MADD, RAEDD (Rednecks Against Extra-Drunk Driving)...and the GSA. I'll be starting an expose documentary forthwith.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Rainman, you reading this?

Someone's finally listening to us! Perhaps this might be a good time for me to repeat my suggestion that the name and acronym for the GSA be changed to more adequately reflect the sinister character of its focus fish. My personal choice would be

"Reckless Enthusiasts of Cyanellus Trying to Utilize Murderous Sunfish"

which I have suggested on several occasions, but which never seems to get much traction. However, there are new, more enlightened members of the forum now, so this might be the time.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
GSA abducts cow,accidently crashes plane in process...news at 11:00

Oh,the cover-ups,my my,the cover-ups,will it never end?

I subscribe
Some days you get the dog,and some days he gets you.Every dog has his day,and sometimes he has two!

Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Rainman, you reading this?

Someone's finally listening to us! Perhaps this might be a good time for me to repeat my suggestion that the name and acronym for the GSA be changed to more adequately reflect the sinister character of its focus fish. My personal choice would be

"Reckless Enthusiasts of Cyanellus Trying to Utilize Murderous Sunfish"

which I have suggested on several occasions, but which never seems to get much traction. However, there are new, more enlightened members of the forum now, so this might be the time.

It's all the same in the end, Yolkie.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
The name change seems fitting.

At this time I would like to announce that I would like to join your's and Rainman's anti-GSA group. I don't know the qualifications for membership, but I do keep a small fleet of X-wing fighters as a hobby that may be useful against the GSA.

I know it sounds like an expensive hobby, but my dad is a chevy mechanic and also does the maintenace on the X-wings, most of the parts are the same.

Every person should have an interest in life - I think I'll go fishing. ~ Thoreau
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: csteffen
The name change seems fitting.

At this time I would like to announce that I would like to join your's and Rainman's anti-GSA group. I don't know the qualifications for membership, but I do keep a small fleet of X-wing fighters as a hobby that may be useful against the GSA.

I know it sounds like an expensive hobby, but my dad is a chevy mechanic and also does the maintenace on the X-wings, most of the parts are the same.

I hope the x-wing engines are not from the Chevy Vega

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Connor Kelley, Mama Rachael
Recent Posts
Faux trees & plants
by Boondoggle - 06/26/24 09:28 AM
Pokeweed for Wildlife?
by Theo Gallus - 06/26/24 08:08 AM
Strange 'phenomenon' in aquatic vegetation
by Theo Gallus - 06/26/24 08:07 AM
Unidentified broad leaf pondweed