Thought I would post an update and some pics. The dam is a little unorthodox with all of the trees:

Here is the marsh on the west side with the dead tree area in the background:

I am going to replace them with flood tolerant types, and here is a photo from the trees looking out to the pond:

The water has been standing here for about 3 months now and needs to come down another foot to get out of the trees. The oaks don't like it so cypress, tupelo, and sycamore are going to replace them. Probably going to cut the rest down before they die so that I can mill them into lumber. Here is our peninsula that we plan on building something on soon, just don't know what:

The slope is kind of steep, but gives it some good elevation for looking over the pond. For the history buffs out there, here is the concrete pad left over from the railroad's steam engine days:

The water tower used to sit here and the pond was built to supply the tower with water in 1898. We had enough water to float my lumber pile of its blocks and fill my garden tractor's crankcase with water, which is about 4' above full pool. Here is a parting shot from when I was about to leave for the day: