bobdog, I'm not sure what to say about the chicken... I wouldn't hesitate to give it to a BSF colony that was operating under good conditions because it would be consumed in few hours. On the other hand if the chicken is in an environment that's too hot for BSF to consume then you may be inviting some nasty bacteria to the party. Maybe your pile got hot enough to sterilize the chicken, but I don't know.

BSF will eat onions all day, but the leek tops may contain too much cellulose for them. They might be able to eat them after they begin to decompose a little. The BSF won't care if the leek tops are partially fermented, that's the type of food they're designed to eat.

I add banana peels to my colony most days. I also used to think the BSF wouldn't eat them, but eventually they disappear. The woody part of the banana bunch won't be eaten by the BSF, same as with the grape stems or any other high cellulose stuff.

If you make a dedicated BSF unit you don't need the cardboard for egg laying unless you just want to experiment. Even with the corrugated material available the BSF will lay their eggs all over the walls of the unit anyway. The cardboard is most useful for moving the eggs around if you need to.

Originally Posted By: bobdog

I nearly tossed the whole bin into the pickup and hauled it over to show them :P

I can relate.

Thanks for sharing your project bobdog.