Hey Randy, you should see BSF mating within a few weeks. Keep in mind that the BSF grubs you still have won't eat much at all unless the temp of the colony gets into the mid 70's. If you wanted to you could move the BioPod to a sunny spot temporarily, but you'd have to be ready to move it as soon as the hot weather gets here. Since you've been so supportive I would be happy to send you some free BSF eggs if you want to jump start your colony, just let me know when you're ready.

So far the only downside to this set up is that I'm spending too much time fishing. \:\) My biggest mistake was leaving a bream pole by the BioPod. How can I not throw "just one" grub on a hook and "sample the fish population" when I'm there? After all, the fish need thinning and the BSF need food! But seriously, I don't think there will be a downside to keeping the colony there. I've put whole fish in the unit for a few days now and the smell is very mild because the grubs consume them so quickly. I've only seen a few houseflies around and I haven't seen any inside the BioPod. I just have to be careful not to overload the colony with food, but even if I do I'll just skip feeding it for a day or two and it will balance itself out.

I added a few small WM to the unit late yesterday and the day before. I went to take a photo of the progress this morning but the fish were completely gone. That's an average of about one pound of fish per day with no problem. My current colony is only two weeks old except for a handful of grubs left from last year, so most of them are still pretty small. I think a large established colony could handle 4-5 pounds per day or more. I'm very curious about how the high protein diet will effect the growth of the grubs.

If you want to check out the menu at Le Magot I'm keeping a log of everything I feed them: BioPod Log - Waste in - Grubs out

Here's a few RES I caught with the grubs. I know the photos don't prove anything about BSF, but fish pics are always good, right?