I strongly believe RB Blackshear's good review of the SMB article in PBoss magazine, probably because I researched and wrote the article. The SMB-LMB combination results in a direct competition between the two fish with LMB winning esp in small waters. The smaller the water the more LMB tend to win the game. In smaller waters there are not enough niches for the SMB to thrive thus the LMB eventually crowd out the smallies esp regarding natural recruitment. When the two are combined and when more LMB are removed or thinned, as mentioned above in the quote by Jeff Splike, the better the SMB thrive.

I challange anyone to put smallies in a small pond by themselves with a decent forage fish community and watch what happens. Smallie success is not so much about warm or cool temperatures as it is about compeyition from other fish. I've stocked smallies with out LMB numerous times with great success. The resulting size of the smallies will be dependant on the quality of the forage food base and the number of SMB competiting.

As I often suggest start with the smallies and when they don't live up to your expectations, add the LMB and they will give you a different type of bass pond. You will learn from the experiences.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/30/09 10:22 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management