The best time that I had with a raptor was running my Springer for a falconer that had a Mexican Peregrine Falcon. She'd flush the pheasant, then sit until I released her. The Peregrine would make that pheasant look like someone opened a feather pillow up in the sky! I said the same thing about that birds' talons. He said that the bird had the longest talons vs. body size of any of the N. American raptors.

Well, I just tried finding that bird, and can't. (on the internet) Any suggestions? I'll try and describe it, but it was about 15 years ago.....

Size, larger than the N. American Peregrine, but smaller than a Redtail - akin to the size of a rough legged hawk, lots of brown, HUGE talons!

I'm sure that he said that it was a Mexican peregrine, and teh guy that got us together (and was there as well) was THE southern district DNR small game/upland game biologist for Ca. He retired in '98 I believe.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).