All your fish [GSH, SMB, BG, RES] will pound the BG fry and they help. I have never encountered your theory of disturbing BG beds - but I'm not a fisheries biologist either. I'm sure some other guys can weigh in here and provide some feedback. I can say the forum would welcome the research any of your experiments yield in terms of how to control the BG population...it's a common goal for many pond managers like you and me.

HSB [Wipers] will focus almost exclusively on pellets if you are planning on a supplemental feeding program [which I recommend]. I am not worried about their impact on my pond - I stocked them as a bonus fish that could reach 15+ lbs and also to help knock off BG.

I am also stocking my SMB in the Fall once my forage from last Summer has had a full year to establish itself. I am fully prepared to make corrective and supplemental stockings in the future to maintain the fish populations I want. It's just a fact I've come to accept.

Of course, LMB would pretty much answer your BG population issues - but ask yourself: Isn't a 20" SMB caught topwater on UL tackle on a brisk Autumn day and breaching the water 12 times before it comes to your float-tube worth it?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]