Originally Posted By: Ack
jsand13, it sounds like you might have the perfect situation there: an old couple living right by your land that wants to walk on it, but not fish. If I were you I'd tell them that they (and only them -- no friends, family, etc.) can take walks on the land in exchange for watching your land and pond and calling you if they see any trespassers. Let them walk your land, send them some cookies at Christmas, and you'll have an extra set of eyes watching out for your land.

Regarding the signs: There's a large area of land near my house with no fence, but the owner has put up professionally made signs up every 50 yards or so around the perimeter that say "Private property. No trespassing. Hunting leases available for $1000 per day. Trespassers hunting without a lease will be sued for the full amount due."

js

it's your place and your choice and i fully understand it's hard to let someone intrude on something you've invested so much time and effort and capital into creating - but Ack really makes a lot of sense to me. knowing your hard work can create a nice place for your older neighbors to stroll will probably feel pretty good - and you DO get an extra few folks who watch the place. my thought is if you make them feel a part of your plan and process by allowing them to walk around, they will feel strongly about preserving it. i know you didn't ask me...but there's my two cents. good luck.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]