We have both types of ticks and see both RMSF and Lyme each year. I usually just use a spray repellent when I am fishing. If I am going to be doing a lot of work in the brush I treat a old pair of cammies laying around with Permanone. You treat the cloths (do NOT use on your body) and let them dry. It will last through several washes. We used it in the military religously and now you can buy it over the counter. When I bought my place it had been empty for over a year. I couldn't even sit on my porch without picking off ticks. Keeping the grass cut down and treating around my pond wit Diazonon pellets the first year really helped knock down the population. I no longer treat around the ground anymore (can get expensive) as its not really needed any longer as long as I keep the brush pushed back and trimmed. As mentioned above, Chickens, ducks, and guinea hens will all gobble up ticks like crazy.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish. Mark Twain