yes, it will take a while before the results show up.

I think this project is really great and have been tracking it. To your question of how much is too much, I've got a question about the remaining bass. I'm guessing you've got a really good feeling for what's going on in the pond by now.

If you could tell, what would be the average fish remaining (when you stop). Size and average age?

From everything you've said I'd lean towards removing more bass rather than less since the new stocked bass + next years spawn are going to be the target fish to grow big and healthy. You're doing great things with the forage, and I'd want that going into good potential fish not stunted fish.

I'd be worried that you'd be left with a bunch of 4-5+ year old 12-14" fish. They'll start growing when the get more forage, but ultimately they're not going to be great fish as they age. I'd rather get the biomass of older stunted fish out of the pond and move forward with the new stockers plus the next spawn which could get to the same size with proper forage in 12 months.

If you're going to stock adult Florida's and build up your forage I don't think you can over cull very easily, and if you did the consequences aren't exactly bad (stronger forage base, reduced pressure, and faster growing bass). In 12 months you'd be sitting in a good spot.