Originally Posted By: JohnK
Right now I have a 30 gallon tub elevated above my tilapia tank that get's water from an old pond pump that's just laying in the bottom of the tank.( the tilapia are in around 150 gallons of water) Inside the tub starting from the bottom I have a layer of lava rock then a layer of filter media then another layer of lava rock and on top is a foam cushion that would be like what's in a couch cushion. The water pours in the top and comes out a hole in the bottom. I put a bottle of starter bacteria in there also. I also have a pool filter hooked to a 1 1/4 inch pvc line that has holes in it to spray the water back into the tank. I am unsure of the flow rate but it is a 1 1/4 inch line so I am sure it's pretty good. I purchased a pond pump connector that has slits in it to keep the fish from being sucked up and connected it to the inlet. The water is crystal clear for now. Would I benefit from trying to put bog plants in the tub? I would probably have to remove the cushion if I did.

Can you post a picture? If not you can PM me and I'll have you send me a picture and I will post it for you. I'd love to see what you've got going right now.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.