John,

I would do a settling chamber to remove most of the solids. Basically, picture a large cone shaped container with a valve on the bottom. Your water comes from the fish tank(s) into the the container about halfway between the top and bottom. On the other side you have your outlet, which is at/near the top of the container. You want a very large container for all this so that you don't keep the solids stirred up due to the water flow. Every few days you simply open your bottom drain of the settling container and flush out the solids to your wastewater system (septic tank, city sewer, garden plot, etc.). I would try to do this inline with my mechanical and bio filtration, but that will require a bit of math to get flow rates to jive with each other. By using a settling chamber as a "pre filter" for solids you will GREATLY reduce the load on your mechanical/bio filtration system, and in turn, cut your routine maintenance of it way down.

Last edited by Weissguy; 04/03/09 03:13 PM.

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.