Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Good evening all,
I will be picking up my hybrid Bluegill tomorrow morning, so I went over to the pond to do one last "look around", and I noticed that there are hundreds of snails attached to the concrete wall that runs down one side of the pond. Naturally this has got me thinking about Redear, but I don't want to add any since I will be managing the hybrids to control any reproduction, and I certainly don't want any more female sunfish in there if I can help it. This leads to my question... has anyone crossed a male redear with a female green sunfish? Redear are usually bigger than bluegill, would this translate in the cross to create an even bigger hybrid? The male bg x female gsf yields mostly males, do you suppose this would hold true for the redear/ gsf cross? anybody have any info, or pics of these hybrids? The possibility of a 2-pound plus, limited reproducing, snail devouring sunfish has piqued my curiosity!

My Father-in-law has them in his pond, and has for at least 10 years. He lives in East central Indiana(Portland). I'm sure he bought them from a fish supplier, not sure which one. Next time I see him will ask. They grow quite large and will take most everything thrown at them. He had a major kill a few years back(said runoff from his lawn right after spraying) and just re-stocked last fall, all hybrid Redear no Bass or CC

"Life is like a box of chocolates"