Depending on how steady the incoming "runoff" water is, you may find that a 5' deep pond gets warm enough in the summer to make it tough for the SMB. There are some threads about the upper temp limits but if I recall anything over 86F could be a problem for their survival, and above 82 may inhibit their growth. If I remember correctly 92F is the upper limit and will lead to fatality. If youy do decide to try the SMB you may want to add crayfish for them as forage.

My new pond was at 5' deep at end of July and it got to 81F. There is no shade and it was hot outside. I am located 5 to 6 hours north of the KY border, so I assume same pond depth would be several degrees warmer in Kentucky.

The water from your geo unit will have virtually zero affect on a 1 acre pond, but will not cool it in the summer or warm it in the winter for sure.

On the other hand the cool winters in KY may adversly affect CNBG - I think they do better further south, but somebody with more knowledge than me will have to say for sure. Standard BG should do well.

You will need a predator species of some kind to keep the bream from stunting. If you want them to be big enough to be fun to catch and eat you probably will want some bass in there to help with that goal. LMB are easy and you could try to keep only females to prevent overpopulation of them. Or maybe HSB as they won't spawn. You would have to add some HSB every few years or more often to keep the BG in check and have various classes.

SMB and bream both benefit from gravel substrate for spawning - to give you one answer to things you can do to prepare the pond. Also adding some structure depending on species chosen - rocks, logs, christmas trees etc. Logs half in the water and half out are great for the turtles. Flat surfaces in the water are helpful for fathead minnows if you use some of them as storage - pallets, lily pads. Good luck.

2/3 acre pond 12 miles from that big pond we call Lake Erie.