Musings here. I think of carrying capacity as x numbers of oxygen and pond resource utilizing "thangs" contained in a body of water. That x is just as finite as the air carrying capacity of a baloon. OK, that sounds simple but what is the makeup of the denizens that go from phyto to some whopper catfish? There has to be a trade off type realtionship between x number of stunted fish versus y numbers of desired size fish. There has to be a formula (I don't know it) that considers input or resource utilization and excretions. I further figure that this nebulous # is influenced by the natural or manipulated water quality or fertility that we aspire to and talk about. However, each pond has a differing "score" when it comes to natural fertility.

In my arid area, carrying capacity means the lowest water level I can expect during a drought. Thus, I have a serious carrying capacity constraint that is not universally shared. That is exactly why I caution against fertilization and magic bullets like tilapia. Those of us in arid areas (it could be you tomorrow) just don't have the options that others do. I see manipulation of carrying capacity as betting on rain.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP