Couple more thoughts for you, GG.

In nearly all circumstances, yellow perch and minnows will end up with a pond full of perch with none bigger than 8 inches. The only exception would be where something limits yellow perch reproduction, which is rare. I've had a lot of people tell me that yellow perch are predacious and will control their own young. That is not true, except under unique circumstances. In nearly all cases, you put yellow perch into a 1-2 acre pond, and they will stunt. The first stocking will grow like gangbusters and reach large sizes, but that will only last for a few years. If you really wanted to attempt a perch-minnow pond, about the only thought I have is that you might start trapping the small perch, and thereby be the predator yourself. I'm not sure of PA regulations? Can you use fisheries gear in private waters? Better check that. Finally, Pond Boss forum expert Bill Cody has had some luck with yellow perch only ponds, using a feeding program. If you haven't found his threads, and if he doesn't spot this and respond, you might contact him directly for advice.

If you looked through the other threads on yellow perch, you may have seen that I'm not a big fan of smallmouth bass being an effective predator on yellow perch. In your case, I would strongly suggest that smallmouth bass and yellow perch are not a good combination if you have very much submergent vegetation to protect the small perch from predation by bass. If you have a relatively "clean" pond, then it might work. Smallmouth bass are really great fun in ponds. Few fish fight like them! Kids love the jumps that the smallies always provide.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

From Bob Lusk: Dr. Dave Willis passed away January 13, 2014. He continues to be a key part of our Pond Boss family...and always will be.