Hi JET; good to have you on board at the Pond Boss forum.
-
I'm having a hard time accepting that a properly glued PVC joint "separated". No offense intended, but I have to question if something went askew during the gluing process.
First off, gluing 12" dia PVC had to be incredibly difficult. We wrestled with 6" and that was bad enough. I've got to imagine that you had to use the bottom of a bucket on a backhoe to push them together for the 30 - 60 seconds required to cure without rejection. Was a primer used? (I'm not sure if primer is SOP for 12"; I assume it is) Did you mark the male side of each connection at the full depth of the joint to verify that the pipe was slid all the way in as they were connected? In other words, are you sure the connection was inserted all the way to the base of the female side? Also, was it fairly hot outside when the connections were made? Once you approach 90 degrees temperature, even the slow cure cement dries very quickly.
My experiences with PVC have yielded questionable to lousy quality connections after the first try. On the rare occassions that a joint did not go well, or got rejected by the cure process to the point that I would not accept it, trying to clean the pipe with solvent or primer and re-gluing was even worse. Once the plastic has been chemically melted once, it loses some of it's dimension and the connection is sloppy.
-
Once again, I can't even relate to working with 12" PVC, so my ramblings could be lost in a land that I am unfamiliar with. One thing for sure; I tip my hat to you for even taking it on.