Originally Posted By: southernbelle
Service agreement? How much is that a year?? At the cost of these things, they ought to service them forever!! If it's a fault of theirs, sure they will work something out. I'm reading and learning-thanks for your post! Sorry this had to happen to you. I'm hoping we won't have this heat strip problem since it rarely gets very cold here. I'm positive the pond will never freeze!! I've always dreamed of a frozen pond growing up to ice skate on!

On a note, here in mid central Indiana our pond did freeze over for about a week--we had some pretty extreme single digit temperatures for awhile. We think we are going to put two aerator stones out this year vs the one off of our windmill--may or may not help. The cost of a service agreement is only a couple hundred a year. Now your loops are usually 10 years (you have all your regular manfacturer warranty on your system etc). On the problem we were having with the heat strips on, sizeable electric bill this past month and probably one more--the geo installer came today and spent a couple of hours doing analysis readings and the like checking everything out. The unit seems to be doing what it should at this time. As Ladia noted there is a lot of adjusting that has to happen based on each persons individual circumstance. One thing he brought up that will be looked at is the 'fluff' of the coils in the pond along with an analysis of all the readings. I have faith it will all come out fine in the end. We are installing a newer Carrier thermostat that will tell us exactly when it is stage 1, stage 2 and stage 3 along with when the Heat Strips kick in - Yippie! One must remember when you live in extreme climates in the north, there will be occasion that the heat strips may engage so you don't want to turn them off (you're just hiding some other unforeseen problem you probably have with your geo). I will let y'all know what the end results are so others who are going geo can be conizant of things that can and do go wrong while tweaking your particular system. Honestly, the price I paid for geo is a bargain compared to what it will give me when it pays for itself in 4 more years. \:\) dot