I've received two emails from forum members who are concerned about the cost of rooms and meals for the Pond Boss III conference in September at Big Cedar Lodge. They are worried that attendance will suffer because of it.
Please let me address those concerns. First, the room rates were negotiated and less than their standard rates. Plus, we have a variety of choices for you to pick. This is a first class venue that has everything we might want for our type of conference. We've blocked rooms and sent in our $10,000 deposit. We're committed.
I understand with the economy the way it is that some people either can't afford or just don't want to spend that much money on rooms. The only other thing I can think of is that for those who can't afford Big Cedar, you might look ten miles away in Branson and find something less expensive.
Part of the attraction of Big Cedar is not only the rooms and the venue, but the fact that they waived the food and beverage minimum for Pond Boss. (New Orleans' Royal Sonesta had a minimum $24,000 food and beverage...we could not make that committment.) So, Big Cedar set their food costs and we added a gratuity to it and added it to the registration form. Please understand, the meals are optional for attendees, not mandatory. Big Cedar has at least 3 restaurants and folks can go eat off the menu for less money, if you want. We're fine with that. But, for the sit down meals with the group, keynote speakers, etc., the cost is higher. That's just the way it is.
I've asked Gayle to start calling our advertisers and vendors and see how many would like to sponsor some meals. The newest idea is to see if we can get 5 or 6 of the Pond Boss faithful advertisers to put up $2,000 each to sponsor some of the meal events. If so, our next plan will be to announce in the magazine that the first 100 people to register will have their meals paid for....but we will await the responses from our advertisers and see what they say. If they'll do that, we'll offer to hang their banners, give them some special words in the magazine and let them address the group at each meal.
In the meantime, here's my thinking. People spend lots of money building ponds...thousands of dollars. Then, they spend hundreds to thousands to stock them. Then, we buy aeration systems, feeders, fish food and pay an electric bill. To me, coming to this conference isn't so much an expense as it is an investment in knowledge and networking with experts and others who have valuable knowledge that may not even be about ponds. Look at JHAP, for example. Spend a few minutes with him to find out tax advantages you might not even know you have. Look at AaronM, Dave Willis, Bill Cody, Eric West, Theo, Sunil, Bruce Condello...knowledge you can't buy, even if it were for sale.
I can't help but notice the conversation has died down on the site and I expect it's because of sticker shock.
So, I hope this explanation helps ease the pain a little bit.
Feel free to respond...either with pros or cons. What you think does matter to me.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...